- ¼ cup oil
- ⅓ cup onion, finely minced
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup ground cayenne powder
- 1½ – 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt (use less if you use tomato sauce, as it is salty)
- 2 fresh tomatoes, puréed or about 10 oz tomato sauce
- In a skillet, brown the flour a little.
- Place oil in another saucepan and saute the onion until transparent.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add flour to mixture and stir well for 1 minute.
- Add the cayenne chile powder and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add water plus extra water to thin if necessary.
- Puree the tomatoes with the salt.
- Add the tomato mixture or tomato sauce, if desired.
- Simmer for at least 10 minutes, or while you prepare the other ingredients for enchiladas.
- Will keep in refrigerator for 1 week or may be frozen.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.